Facebook Page @ https://www.facebook.com/pfpomospondia
Actions taken for this purpose are:
The planning of scientific and realistic beliefs and proposals regarding the animals sent to all
competent authorities (Ministries, Municipalities, Vet associations, District Attorneys) and creating an daily active lobby so as to have those plans legalized.
- the abolition of the use of animals in Circuses and spectacles,
- the acceptance that the abuse of an animal is a penal case
- the restriction of the use of euthanasia only when the animal’s health condition is non curable
- the abolition of the use of euthanasia in cases of leishmania.
In November 2012, PFPO was invited to participate to the discussion held in Brussels with the topic, “stray animals in Greece, control of their population”.
Campaigns and activistic protests to inform and make people aware of the correct and legal use of the animals as sentient and intelligent creatures.Some of these campaigns aimed to change the condition of the “barrel” dogs and the permanently chained animals, the improvement of the conditions of the Municipalities’ shelters and their function, the ban of the sale of any kind of animal at pet shops, the ban of the use of their fur, the ban of hunting, the ethical use of the livestock, the ban of the experiments on animals, the promotion of veganism.
In particular, as regards the barrel dogs and their condition, PFPO not only campaigned to raise awareness on this phenomenon, but also managed to unify against it all authorities involved in the island of Crete.
- The collaboration with scientists, academic circles, intellectuals , politicians
- The collaboration with many foreign animal welfare societies such as the British Union of the Abolition of the Vivisection, Anti-fur Coalition)
- The materialization of the program “ Live with animals” across the country with the permission of the Ministry of Education
- The organization of seminars to Police Schools and Municipality’s Police nation wide
- The continuous appearance to all Medias making our aims known with circulars and press releases
- The continuous care for animals in need
- Confiscate animals which are illegally sold
- The reporting and taking legal measures against people or groups breaking the law on animal abuse.
In October 2011 PFPO organized the “Meeting for the European Animal Welfare Culture in Greece today”.
It has also been proved repeatedly that the legislation relative to the protection of the animals in general and the management of strays, as well as its application, are extremely insufficient. This has resulted in many municipal shelters in which are hosting up to several hundreds of them, just like in the case of municipal shelter of Serres.
The Law 4039/2012, allows the collection of stays by the municipalities only when they have the necessary facilities and qualifications for this purpose such as specialized vehicles for animal transportation, the appropriate experienced personnel for the capture of the animals and, above all, a vet as a supervisor of the whole mission. In brief, the whole notion of collecting strays has radically changed. Their collection serves the sole purpose of their castration, vaccination, providing medical care where this is deemed necessary, their electronic marking and finally their relocation in their natural environment.